New Democrat Coalition Endorses Legislation on Technology and Artificial Intelligence
Washington, DC – Today, the New Democrat Coalition (NDC), led by Chair Derek Kilmer, NDC Vice Chair Suzan DelBene, and the NDC Technology Task Force Co-Chairs Reps. Sharice Davids, Kendra Horn, Harley Rouda, and Darren Soto, announced the endorsement of legislation on technology and artificial intelligence. This is the first round of technology bill endorsements by the NDC in the 116th Congress.
This package of bills is forward-looking, responsive to the realities of our rapidly advancing technological world, and consumer- and worker-focused while also promoting innovation. The NDC will work to advance the following bills:
- Rep. Suzan DelBene’s H.R. 2013 – The Information Transparency & Personal Data Control Act
- This bill will give people control over their most sensitive information and improve enforceability. This legislation requires the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to mandate disclosure from companies on what information they are collecting and why, especially if it is being shared with another party. This bill has 25 cosponsors.
- Rep. Darren Soto’s H.R. 827 – AI JOBS Act
- This bill will authorize the Department of Labor to work with businesses and educational institutions to create a report analyzing the future growth of artificial intelligence and its impact on American workforce.
- Rep. Brenda Lawrence’s H.Res.153
- AI has the potential to transform the economy and dramatically alter industries including health care, retail, finance, energy, transportation, law, education, and manufacturing over the coming years. This resolution will support the development of guidelines for ethical development of artificial intelligence in consultation with diverse stakeholders.
“I’m very pleased The Information Transparency & Personal Data Control Act has received the support of my New Democrat colleagues,” said NDC Vice Chair for Policy Suzan DelBene. “Our coalition is about finding solutions to tough problems, and my legislation is an important step toward ensuring that consumers have more control over their most sensitive information. This endorsement creates momentum in Congress to finally protect consumer privacy. The bill has received positive feedback from key stakeholders, consumer advocates and my colleagues. Congress must act to protect consumer privacy.
“I am proud to join efforts across party lines to introduce the AI JOBS Act and help our workforce prepare for the ways artificial intelligence will shape the economy of the future. Technological advances will continue to present both challenges and benefits for American workers in industries ranging from transportation to cybersecurity to advanced manufacturing. The AI JOBS Act is bipartisan legislation that will help American workers better understand and prepare for the emerging job opportunities created by artificial intelligence and to adapt to changes in our evolving economy,” said NDC Technology Task Force Co-Chair Darren Soto.
“I’m pleased to join my New Democrat colleagues in endorsing this forward-thinking package of bills that support our workers and economy, while also fostering innovation in technology. I look forward to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to advance these important pieces of legislation,” said NDC Technology Task Force Co-Chair Sharice Davids.
“Artificial intelligence continues to grow and evolve at a rapid pace. It is important that Congress acts to ensure this promising technology is handled responsibly, minimizes bias, and protects consumers and workers. As Co-Chair of the NDC Technology Task Force, I look forward to working in a bipartisan manner to address these important issues,” said NDC Technology Task Force Co-Chair Kendra Horn.
“I'm proud to support this forward-looking package of bills, which puts consumers and workers first. This legislation proves it's possible to have bold technological advancements that bolster American business, encourage innovation, and protect our privacy,” said NDC Technology Task Force Co-Chair Harley Rouda.
The Coalition is working to ensure that every American has the opportunity to benefit from technological advancement. Through the NDC Technology Task Force, the Coalition will fight to foster innovation and support investment in groundbreaking emerging technologies to spur societal benefits and widely shared economic prosperity; improve technological infrastructure and bridge the digital divide; and update out-of-date laws that fail to protect Americans’ privacy.
Next Article Previous Article