Enact Fiscal Reform
Pursue a long-term approach to address structural causes of our growing deficits and debt
- Problem: The nation’s debt continues to grow at an unsustainable rate. On the current trajectory, the U.S.’s budget deficits become unsustainable, further squeezing the important investments that will help create good-paying jobs, make the economy work better for everyone, support retirees, and keep the country safe.
- Solution: Congress should pursue a bipartisan, long-term approach to address structural causes on both sides of the ledger of the nation’s growing deficits and debt. The NDC believes Congress should:
- Be transparent about the fiscal state of the nation
- Maintain and strengthen pay-as-you-go budget rules
- Reform the Congressional Budget & Appropriations process to ensure regular order and responsible budgeting to address long-term opportunities and challenges