Fund and Finance Infrastructure
Fix the funding and financing of our infrastructure
- Problem: It has been nearly three decades since the federal gas tax, the main federal revenue source for road infrastructure investment, was last increased. As fuel efficiency, electric vehicles, and other alternative transportation modes have increased, the Federal government has also failed to develop new funding resources. The need for investment has soared while federal infrastructure trust funds have been raided for other priorities or become insolvent, leaving a widening investment gap between our significant infrastructure needs and our dwindling funding resources.
- Solution: To meet the needs of today’s infrastructure investment gap, it is crucial the U.S. modernizes its infrastructure funding and financing mechanisms. Congress needs to stop kicking the can down the road and put forth a bipartisan solution to fund the nation’s infrastructure needs. The NDC believes Congress should:
- Replenish and protect existing trust funds, and create new, reliable and dedicated funding sources for the development and maintenance of our infrastructure
- Ensure the federal government pays its fair share and make it easier for local and state governments to use and maximize existing financing programs and tools
- Embrace innovative funding and financing mechanisms, including exploring new revenue streams like vehicle miles traveled (VMT) fees, creating a national infrastructure bank, and encouraging the investment of private capital.
- More in NDC’s Fund It, Fix It, Foster It Infrastructure Priorities.