Modernize America’s Infrastructure
Modernize and expand our nation’s infrastructure for the 21st century
- Problem: Across the country, our transportation and infrastructure systems are in dire need of modernization. We are faced with an outdated system increasingly unprepared to withstand our changing climate and severe natural disasters, and unable to meet even the most basic of needs, like providing clean drinking water to all Americans. Americans spend hours sitting in traffic on unsafe roads and among congestion-caused pollution, resulting in a less healthy public, lost productivity for our workers and businesses, and wasted time for American families.
- Solution: The U.S. economy depends on a functioning transportation and infrastructure system that supports the movement of workers and goods around the country and facilitates international trade. In order to grow the American economy and build stronger communities, Democrats and Republicans need to work across the aisle to rebuild, repair, and expand our nation’s infrastructure. The NDC believes Congress should:
- Modernize our nation’s infrastructure by repairing existing assets, embracing new technologies, building projects to last, and embracing public-private partnerships where appropriate
- Encourage responsible regulatory streamlining that prioritizes environmental integrity while addressing unnecessary barriers to development
- Develop a transportation and infrastructure plan inclusive of non-traditional assets like public facilities, broadband, and energy grids
- Pursue policies that promote resilience and the decarbonization of our transportation and infrastructure system
- More in NDC’s Four Pillars for an Infrastructure Deal and the NDC’s letter to President Trump.