Restore Trade Leadership
Reassert U.S. leadership of a pro-growth trade agenda and reverse the Trump Administration’s protectionist and isolationist policies
- Problem: President Trump’s protectionist trade strategy is unwinding America’s position in the global economy and jeopardizing our long-term economic and national security goals. Ceding leadership of the global economic order will negatively impact U.S. jobs, agriculture, manufacturing and our geo-political standing for years to come.
- Solution: Congress should pursue a trade agenda that respects the rules-based trading system, enacts new agreements that meet the needs of a 21st century economy, and promotes American excellence and values abroad. It is imperative the United States continues setting the rules for the global economy, rather than have them set by others. The NDC believes Congress should:
- Reclaim congressional oversight and authority over U.S. trade policy
- Reassert American leadership and support for multilateral institutions and trade agreements
- Prioritize opening new markets for U.S. businesses, workers, farmers, and ranchers
- Modernizing existing trade agreements to reflect the 21st century economy
- More on those efforts.