Spur Economic Opportunity
Create more opportunity for more people in more places
- Problem: A dozen years after the Great Recession, our economic recovery has been uneven. The top quintile of communities experienced a strong recovery, receiving over half of the new jobs and businesses created. On the other end of the spectrum, the least prosperous quintile of communities now has fewer jobs and businesses than at the end of the last century.
- Solution: The federal government should work with public and private sector partners to create opportunity for more people in more places. Small measures are insufficient. Instead, we should revolutionize our approach to economic development by taking deliberate action to focus on the people and communities left behind by today’s economy. The NDC believes Congress should:
- Prioritize federal economic development programs in communities most in need
- Expand access to capital and incentivize private investment in communities in need and in diverse entrepreneurs
- Connect workers and communities to opportunities in areas and industries experiencing growth
- Help Americans access educational opportunities at all stages of their career